Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dwimlin - enter stage left.

When not fighting amongst themselves in various civil wars, rebellions and peasant uprisings; I envisage my chosen Britannic (English) heroes having to face an entire bestiary of dreadful enemies... not all of them human.

Dwimlin (Orcs), Goblins and Hobgoblins are the most prolific enemy the King`s Britannic army will have to face on a most regular basis, so what better place to start painting the bad guys than with a tribe of Copplestone Casting Hobs. The bulk of my 10mm model collection are Pendraken Miniatures... my preferred choice every time. But I was sent a few packets of figures by Mark Copplestone himself a few years back, and decided to get these painted first so I could concentrate exclusively, thereafter,  on my Pendraken miniatures collection.

The Copplestone minis came on strips, so I carefully separated them and based them individually on 1 cent coins. The rules I wrote for my 10mm games very much allow for this individual basing, something you rarely see at this scale (usually you see the miniatures massed together on base trays). I decided early on that 10mm needn’t be any different than the more usual 28mm scale - just the figures are smaller is all. This allows me to maintain a real personal relationship with my little toy men... much like skirmish wargaming does, or even a game a Warhammer or Warhammer 40K. I personally like this `hands on` approach to my gaming, as it allows me to build a feel for my guys on a total one to one basis.

I don`t call my troops Orcs. I feel that title has been done to death a bit. So I imagine my "Dwimlin" (my own made up word) a bit more like the Hobbs and Goblins of English and Irish fairy tale and mythology... not necessarily green skinned and only slightly Tolkien-esque in manner.







No comments:

Post a Comment